At McLeod Law Group, we help clients leverage opportunity, maximize coverage, and minimize loss. Losses will happen. It is how you respond to them that matters. And that is where we come in. From assisting our clients obtain insurance coverage for losses they suffer to working with our clients to minimize those losses, the attorneys at McLeod Law Group help our clients leverage loss and create opportunity.
We are a leader in the area of insurance, having consulted on and/or litigated cases on matters involving some of the largest projects in the country (such as City Center, Las Vegas), various notable projects/events in California (San Diego Convention Center, UCSD Sixth College, 2003 San Diego County Wildfires, Loews Hotel, Tri-City Hospital (Carlsbad), 2014 Bernardo Fire, Rancho Valencia Resort (Rancho Santa Fe), GEICO Regional Headquarters (San Diego), DIamond View Tower (San Diego), AMN Healthcare (San Diego), Ontario Airport, Irvine Valley College, French Valley Airport (Riverside), Millenium Tower (San Francisco), Americana at Brand (Glendale), and more), and other projects throughout the western United States and elsewhere (Ceasar’s Palace (Las Vegas, Nevada), Manor Village (North Carolina), Brookfield Tower (Miami, Florida), Paradise-By-The-Sea (San Carlos, Mexico) and others).
We are also known for our handling of and results achieved in matters involving construction and development, litigation and professional errors and omissions.
We have represented a wide variety of clients, including national and regional home builders, technology companies, pharmaceutical companies, manufacturers, contractors and specialty trades, design professionals, homeowners associations, non-profit groups and private clubs to name just a few.
With offices in San Diego and Denver and attorneys licensed throughout the western United States, the McLeod Law Group is uniquely positioned to help our clients leverage opportunities, maximize coverage and minimize loss. As a firm, we are all about open communication, results and efficiency. We look to honor all of those values in what we do for each and every one of our clients.
JOHN McLEOD, FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT
John McLeod is a widely-recognized attorney who has recovered billions of dollars for organizations and high net worth individuals from insurance companies and related groups. In his 25-years of experience, Mr. McLeod has had the privilege of working on some of the most high-profile real estate development projects in the country.
In each and every case, John brings a powerful combination of assertiveness, credibility and likability, winning him the trust and respect of clients and those who he goes up against. From developers to general contractors, subcontractors, design professionals, manufacturers, hotels, pharmaceuticals, tech companies and others across the country and even internationally. John has been recognized by his peers, including being recognized as a Top Attorney in 2015 and as a Super Lawyer in 2020. In addition to his insurance coverage practice, John handles matters in a variety of other legal fields, such as professional errors and omissions, construction and real estate development, and counseling and litigation.
• Top Attorneys in San Diego, 2015, San Diego Daily Transcript
• 2020 San Diego Super Lawyer
- May 15, 2020: “Exclusion Confusion? Finding your way through the forest despite the trees (and other hazards),” West Coast Casualty’s 2020 Construction Defect Seminar
- October 15, 2019: “Emerging Trends in Construction Defect Claims: Insurance, Construction and SB800 Issues,” San Francisco County Bar Association
- June 27, 2019: “Construction Defect Claims: A Discussion on Pre-Litigation Requirements, Arbitration v. Litigation, & Developer Insurance,” North County Bar Association (San Diego), Real Estate Section
- February 28, 2019: “Emerging Trends & Issues in Cyber Insurance.” Knobbe, Martens, Irvine, California
- September 6, 2017: “Coverage Pitfalls for Additional Insureds: Interplay with SIRs and ‘Other Insurance’ Provisions,” Strafford Webinar
- November 28, 2016: “Cyber Security and Insurance Coverage,” Knobbe, Martens, Irvine, California
- September 30, 2015: “The Berkley Deck Collapse: What Have We Learned?,” UC Hastings College of Law Symposium
- May 15, 2015: “An Update on Privacy Protection Act (Ins. Code 791.13), SIR’s and Indemnity Provisions,” West Coast Casualty’s 2015 Construction Defect Seminar
- November 18, 2014: “Current Insurance Coverage Issues and What to Do About Them,” San Diego County Bar Association
- September 18, 2014: “The Plaintiff vs. the Developer: Battle Royale,” MC Consultants’ West Region Construction Defect and Construction Law Conference
- May 12, 2011: “Tips for Avoiding the ‘Perfect Storm’ in the Handling of Wrap Claims,” West Coast Casualty’s 2011 Construction Defect Seminar
- May 25, 2010: “Insurance Coverage for Construction: Five Things You Should Know About Self-Insured Retentions (SIRs),” San Diego County Bar Association
- September 18, 2009: “California Coverage Issues and Current Trends,” MC Consultants’ West Region Construction Defect and Construction Law Conference
- McLeod, J. (2019). Chapter 6: Insurance Considerations. In: Miller, T. et al. eds. (2016) Handling Construction Defect Claims: Western States, 4th ed. New York: Wolters Kluwer Law & Business through Aspen Publishers.
- July 2012 – Co-author, “Risks in Coverage under Another’s Policy,” Daily Journal.
- December 2011 – Co-author, “A New Twist on the Duty to Defend,” Daily Journal.
- Loyola Law School, J.D.
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., cum laude, Economics/Int’l Area Studies, College of Honors